The nook appeal
East Anglia Children’s Hospices …Developing children’s hospice care services, including a new hospice …in the heart of Norfolk
East Anglia Children’s Hospices (EACH) is a charity which provides care
and support to life-threatened children, young people and their families across East Anglia.
Due to the high demands on our specialist services in Norfolk, we have launched the £10 million nook appeal to build and equip a new children’s hospice for the county.
We have outgrown our current hospice in Quidenham; a very old building over two storeys where
accessibility and flexibility within the building is restricted and there isn’t the scope to expand.
Quidenham hospice is one of the oldest in the UK and has been an incredible home-from-home
to many families for more than 20 years. Care for young people over the last 20 years has become far
more complicated and we are rapidly outgrowing the Quidenham building.
We have planning permission for a five acre site in the parish of Framingham Earl, five miles south of Norwich and alongside the communities of Poringland and Framingham Pigot.
The nook will be in an idyllic woodland plot, which will create a wonderful tranquil setting for children and families. It will also be better positioned in the county, within a thriving local community and won’t be isolated from local services, hospitals and road networks. Bordered by mature woodland, the nook will be better positioned, in the centre of the county, in the heart of Norfolk and will enable us to provide:
- More choice and flexibility for families
- Increased overnight accommodation and private support areas for families
- Improved medical and nursing equipment to meet increasingly complex care needs
- Hydrotherapy – we offer this beneficial service elsewhere, but don’t have the space at Quidenham.
- More extensive play and recreation spaces, indoors and outside, designed for children and young people with complex care needs
- Improved care for bereaved families
- Improved facilities for on-site family support groups and activities.
The nook will have:
- A significantly larger care area on a single floor
- Seven larger, better equipped bedrooms for children and young people
- Three en-suite family accommodation rooms
- Activity areas for arts, crafts and play
- A hydrotherapy pool
- En-suite bathrooms for all bedrooms
- Private areas for clinical care
- A sensory room
- A quiet ‘haven’
- Therapy rooms, including for music and counselling
- An outdoor play area with specialist equipment
- Training, meeting and resource rooms
- More storage facilities.
The building will be in keeping with its woodland setting, ground-sourced heating pumps will provide at least 10% renewable energy and building materials will be from sustainable sources wherever possible.
We need to raise an additional £10 million while continuing to fund, provide and develop our services
at Quidenham. We rely on donations for the majority of income needed for our services and all the
funds required to build the nook.
Quidenham is not designed or equipped in the way our two hospices for Cambridgeshire, Suffolk and
Essex are. We believe children and families in Norfolk should be able to receive the very best of
services, in an accessible purpose-built environment.
We need individuals, companies, schools, communities and charitable trusts across the whole county
to be part of this exciting project, by organising events and activities, making donations and helping to
raise public awareness for the project.
Subscribe To My Mailing List
Keep up to date with the latest news and charity events by subscribing to my mailing list.